Leeds: Tropical World

12:04

It has become a regular morning routine for Tom and I to Google 'Places to go in Yorkshire' on a day we want to do something, yet not travel too far. Me and Tom have always had a massive passion for animals, whether it's a dog, bird or polar bear so we frequently are looking for new places to go to see them. To us it doesn't matter if it's another Zoo with the same animals as one we went to last week, to us it's new creatures with brand new personalities for me to photograph and gawp over. If I could have any job in the world it would be a nature photographer, I love the quirky personalities of each animal I get to see, sadly been stuck in England I am pretty limited for animals in their natural habitat other than birds. So we travel to zoos where I can get in practice photographing them naturally as possible and get used to the way they move and act, I like to call it research!


Recently we did the usual Google and 'Leeds Tropical World' churned out the search engine. I have seen signs directing this way many times when I used to travel to Leeds but never even bothered to look it up online.'Tropical World' has an array of different animals, ranging from butterflies to crocodiles! Set on the outskirts of Leeds opposite 'Roundhay park' which has beautiful walking grounds and two golf courses with a large wooden kids climbing area.'Tropical World' is practically a stones throw away from the free car park across the road at the entrance to the park grounds.'Tropical world' is only £5.00 to get inside which is a absolute bargain to say we spent two hours walking around the place. Inside is a huge butterfly house but I have to say I think we went at the wrong time of year because there was barely any butterflies fluttering about and had to search for quite a few. 


You then go into an aquarium type area with lots of different types of fish and my favourite thing In the world STING RAYS. I did not know they had any before coming, Tom saw them before me and instantly shouted me over to come look; I was literally jumping up and down in excitement sadly I had to be torn away from the glass so we could look at other things. A large area was designated to lizards and all things scaly. We arrived just in time to see them being fed. I wanted to stay here all day watching them eat and photograph this phenomenon I had never witnessed before (Tom warned me I may well scare them off their dinner so I could only grab a few snaps).




 Next we got to see the meerkats! These fury creatures where the most interactive and friendly meerkats I have seen so far, pushing up against the glass and running down with us (we where the only ones in at this point), play fighting with each other and scouting about. We were then told that we were the last ones and they were shutting up for the evening just as we got into the last area with all the nocturnal animals, It took us only a few minuets to finish as I couldn't take any photos with the dark environment and I felt really bad for the guy having to close up behind us! But they have some stunning animals. 



Overall it was a lovely day out for £5 each excluding petrol.. Which we all where very happy with!




Thanks for reading 

Kerriss brown xo

You Might Also Like

0 comments